Monday, June 16, 2008

All that Glitters is not gold

Jus' a while back I have realized some thing:

"All that glitters is not gold;
Often have you heard that told"

Maybe I am saying that after a harsh realization.
This phrase was taken from Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice.

MOROCCO:
O hell! what have we here?
A carrion Death, within whose empty eye
There is a written scroll! I'll read the writing.
All that glitters is not gold;
Often have you heard that told:
Many a man his life hath sold
But my outside to behold:
Gilded tombs do worms enfold.
Had you been as wise as bold,
Young in limbs, in judgment old,
Your answer had not been inscroll'd:
Fare you well; your suit is cold.

One of the most frequently misquoted phrases. The original phrase is "All that GLISTERS is not gold" and comes from Shakespeare's Merchant Of Venice. The majority of people now misuse it, replacing the archaic verb glister with the much more understandable glitter, and since the two mean near enough the same thing, one can see why.

The phrase simply means that just because something may look valuable, desirable or attractive, it does NOT mean that it definitely will be worth having once you discover its true nature. So basically, don't rely on the superficial.


Just mentioned the above 'coz at times one needs to keep in mind certain things which we often tend to forget.
Right now I am having an uneventful evening with 101 things in my head and I have nothing else to do in the office sitting all alone except for dealing with my own demons.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey dude....what did you realise is not worth having......am interested in knowing what is that unfortunate thing which only glisters and is no where near to being gold??

Darshan Baruah said...

Well ...some dreams are not worth mentioning and I just felt that I had certain dream @ home & work and it is not happening.Will tell you when I speak to you as it's not worth mentioning in the blog.cheers